Spread Betting and CFD trading carry a high level of risk to your capital; you should ensure you understand the risks involved. Please read the full risk warning.
Financial Spread Betting is a way of dealing the price movements of instruments such as shares, indices, sectors, currencies and commodities, without actually owning the underlying asset. The aim is to profit from the price moving in your favour, which can be a rising or, alternatively, a falling price. Find out more.
What are the benefits?
More and more experienced private investors are Spread Betting as part of a balanced portfolio, and here is why:
- There is no dealing commission - any changes are built into the spread.
- Profits are currently exempt from UK Capital Gains Tax*.
- Spread Bets are currently exempt from UK Stamp Duty.
- You can profit from falling as well as rising prices - if you trade the right way of course.
- You don't have to pay the full cost of the deal upfront.
* Please note that Financial Spread Betting is only tax-free if you are a UK resident. Tax laws may change and are subject to individual circumstances. In addition, any capital losses cannot be netted off against capital gains from other investments. Find out more.
The HL service
We aim to provide you with the best information, the best service and the best prices.
For Spread Betting Hargreaves Lansdown introduces you to HL Markets, which is provided by IG Group. We believe that IG Group provides the most comprehensive dealing platform, unrivalled research, education, and the best client service available for Spread Betting.
You will have access to a wide range of financial markets on an award-winning dealing platform. Find out more.
Before you continue, a word of caution
Spread Betting typically requires the deposit of a small percentage of the total trade value upfront, and therefore profits and losses can quickly exceed the initial deposit, requiring you to make further payments. Ensure you understand the risks, and do not risk more than you can afford to lose. These products are not suitable for everyone; if you are in doubt please seek independent advice. This website does not constitute investment advice.